“The First Sorrowful Mystery – The Agony of JESUS”
- Bible Reference : Luke 22: 39-46
- And going out, he went, according to his custom, to the mount of Olives. And his disciples also followed him.And when he was come to the place, he said to them: Pray, lest ye enter into temptation.And he was withdrawn away from them a stone’s cast; and kneeling down, he prayed,Saying: Father, if thou wilt, remove this chalice from me: but yet not my will, but thine be done.And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him. And being in an agony, he prayed the longer.And his sweat became as drops of blood, trickling down upon the ground.And when he rose up from prayer, and was come to his disciples, he found them sleeping for sorrow.And he said to them: Why sleep you? arise, pray, lest you enter into temptation.
“The Second Sorrowful Mystery – JESUS is Scourged”
- Bible Reference : Luke 1:39 – 56
- And straightway in the morning the chief priests with the elders and scribes, and the whole council, held a consultation, and bound Jesus, and carried him away, and delivered him up to Pilate. And Pilate asked him, Art thou the King of the Jews? And he answering saith unto him, Thou sayest. And the chief priests accused him of many things. And Pilate again asked him, saying, Answerest thou nothing? behold how many things they accuse thee of. But Jesus no more answered anything; insomuch that Pilate marvelled.
Now at the feast he used to release unto them one prisoner, whom they asked of him. And there was one called Barabbas, lying bound with them that had made insurrection, men who in the insurrection had committed murder. And the multitude went up and began to ask him to do as he was wont to do unto them. And Pilate answered them, saying, Will ye that I release unto you the King of the Jews? For he perceived that for envy the chief priests had delivered him up. But the chief priests stirred up the multitude, that he should rather release Barabbas unto them. And Pilate again answered and said unto them, What then shall I do unto him whom ye call the King of the Jews? And they cried out again, Crucify him. And Pilate said unto them, Why, what evil hath he done? But they cried out exceedingly, Crucify him. And Pilate, wishing to content the multitude, released unto them Barabbas, and delivered Jesus, when he had scourged him, to be crucified.
“The Third Sorrowful Mystery – Jesus is Crowned”
- Bible Reference : John 19: 1-5
- Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, and scourged him. And the soldiers platted a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and arrayed him in a purple garment; and they came unto him, and said, Hail, King of the Jews! and they struck him with their hands. And Pilate went out again, and saith unto them, Behold, I bring him out to you, that ye may know that I find no crime in him. Jesus therefore came out, wearing the crown of thorns and the purple garment. And Pilate saith unto them, Behold, the man!
“The Fourth Sorrowful Mystery – Jesus Carries His Cross”
- Bible Reference : Luke 23.26-31
- And as they led him away, they laid hold of one Simon of Cyrene, coming from the country; and they laid the cross on him to carry after Jesus.And there followed him a great multitude of people, and of women, who bewailed and lamented him.But Jesus turning to them, said: Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not over me; but weep for yourselves, and for your children.For behold, the days shall come, wherein they will say: Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that have not borne, and the paps that have not given suck.Then shall they begin to say to the mountains: Fall upon us; and to the hills: Cover us.For if in the green wood they do these things, what shall be done in the dry?
“The Fifth Sorrowful Mystery – Jesus Dies on the Cross”
- Bible Reference : Luke 23:33-49
- And when they were come to the place which is called Calvary, they crucified him there; and the robbers, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.And Jesus said: Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. But they, dividing his garments, cast lots.And the people stood beholding, and the rulers with them derided him, saying: He saved others; let him save himself, if he be Christ, the elect of God.And the soldiers also mocked him, coming to him, and offering him vinegar,And saying: If thou be the king of the Jews, save thyself.And there was also a superscription written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.And one of those robbers who were hanged, blasphemed him, saying: If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.But the other answering, rebuked him, saying: Neither dost thou fear God, seeing thou art condemned under the same condemnation?And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this man hath done no evil.And he said to Jesus: Lord, remember me when thou shalt come into thy kingdom.And Jesus said to him: Amen I say to thee, this day thou shalt be with me in paradise.And it was almost the sixth hour; and there was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.And Jesus crying out with a loud voice, said: Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit. And saying this, he gave up the ghost.Now the centurion, seeing what was done, glorified God, saying: Indeed this was a just man.And all the multitude of them that were come together to that sight, and saw the things that were done, returned striking their breasts.And all his acquaintance, and the women that had followed him from Galilee, stood afar off, beholding these things.
|NOTE: Please note. Images are taken from https://www.rosarycenter.org/|