A short personal reflection of todays reading. In the world we live in today, one cannot dismiss that money has become a necessity and time is money. We are paid for the time and effort we put in. But are we living life itself?
The world we live in today
I remember watching a video by an Indian Guru sometime ago. In the video the Guru says; 2000 years ago Jesus said “follow me” and the Apostles dropped whatever they were doing and followed him. One betrayed him. Today, if Jesus were to ask us to follow him, we would fear that the bank will come looking for us.
This phrase ‘Time is Money’ is well known to all and many if not all of us live by it. Personally I have experienced or seen colleagues and myself;
- Put in 16 hours a day to impress the bosses.
- Continue to work at home after spending 10 or 12 hours in the office.
- Get on a 2 hours conference call in the midnight and then continue on the next conference call at 7am, every otger day.
- Sleep a few hours a day so to grow the business or make more money.
- Traveling around the world to secure new businesses or make more money, and has not seen the family for weeks.
- Responding to office emails within the first 5 minutes of its arrival 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Even while having diner with friends and family.
- Would work for life, fearing to loose a job which puts food on the table.
The verse that strikes me from today’s Gospel reading is;
Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.”Mark 12:17
My mind always relates Mark 12:17 with Matthew 6:24, I am guessing because of my continuous struggle to surrender my all to God.
“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.Matthew 6:24
From Gospel, if the word ‘Ceaser’ is replaced with ‘The Company’ this is what it would read;
Give back to ‘The Company’ what is ‘The Company’s’ and to God what is God’s.
The only thing one owes the company is the time and effort due for the company wages, but life still belongs to God. When time due is returned (even more than needed frequently) to the company , life must be given back to God. Is God places at the highest priority (40+ hours a week work and 1.5hours of mass)?